The history of the company
In the beginning it was not easy to reach crude oil. With the emergence of oil industry, crude oil transportation from wellheads to refineries and further to the customers was carried out in various ways, depending on the existing technology of the time. Once hauling with teams of horses or mules was in place, which later gave place to motor vehicles, trucks, ships, and railways. Bad roads and routs together with rough terrain made the distribution task limited. Nevertheless, as a result of oil industry development through time, oil by-products played major roles in different industries. Man, too, tried to find easier and cheaper ways to move crude oil and finally came up with the pipelines system.
The first pipe line was laid in some 150 years ago. High efficiency and lower cost encouraged the widespread use of pipelines in oil industry. As time went by, pipe line became the most convenient means of oil transport across the world.
Crude oil was first introduced to Iranian markets in 1925. Oil consumption in the country amounted to around 124,000 cubic meters per year, excluding the Northern provinces which supplied oil from Russia. By 1939 domestic consumption reached an amount of 250,000 cubic meters per year. In the same year oil import stopped.
Construction of roads and Trans -railways as well as ease of use and low cost ,made oil a convenient source of energy for Iranian. The increase in oil by-products consumption, an awareness of their various uses, and the emergence of small and large scale industries underscored the critical role of the distribution of oil products.
By 1953, industrial, social, and economical demands for oil by-products grew to the extend that that there was a need for safe and sound ways of supplying oil for the Northern and the Central provinces of the country. However, different means of oil products transportation such as oil tankers and railways storage tanks had proved to be insufficient for future needs as the demand was rising dramatically. As a result, the idea of constructing pipe line as a safe and sound way to move oil products drew serious attention. Following hard work and continuous efforts, the first trans-country pipe line was laid in 1957, which moved 100,000 bpd. It was not long that the new means of oil transportation spread in Central, Northern, and Eastern parts of the country. The soaring demand for refined products in Central part of the country contributed to the establishment of Tehran Refinery. In 1965 a 754 km pipe line was laid in order to supply the crude oil for Tehran Refinery.
Gradually, Ray-Ghazvin- Rasht and Ray-Shah rood-Mashhad pipelines were constructed to move oil products. However, when the construction of the pipelines began in Iran, the technology was new for the country. There was at least a 50-year –time gap in the country's universities to reach the pipelines construction technology.
Iranian experts and workers' arduous work and dedication made it possible to establish, run, and maintain oil pipelines.
After 50 years, the pipeline system has developed in such a way that Iranian Oil Pipelines and Telecommunication Company now plays a prominent role in moving oil to all parts of the country.
The Staff Department of this Directorate, including deputy for production, technical, financial, and administrative departments, is located in Tehran. However, the operational departments are situated in 11 Areas across the country.
14,000 km of pipelines, from 4" t0 32" in diameter in 49 routes ,110 Pump Stations, 56 installations and 9 Pressure reducing Stations are in place to supply fuel throughout the country.
The Iranian Pipelines chronicle
-1911: Construction of the first pipeline from Masjed Soleiman to Abadan completed
-1921: The second pipeline, 30 cm in diameter, was laid from Masjed Soleiman to Abadan
- 1930: A pipe line system was established from Haftkal to Koot Abdullah, Ahwaz
- 1935: The fourth pipelines, 220 km in length and 3" in diameter, joined Naft Shahr to Kermanshah
- 1939 : With Iranian engineers' cooperation ,the first refined oil pipeline system , 121 km in length and 4" in diameter and a Pump Station with a capacity of 100,000 tons per year, was laid connecting Abadan to Ahwas.
- 1940 : Gachsaran-Abadan pipeline system , 30.5 cm in diameter and 264 km in length, was established
- 1944 : The second pipeline system, 6",121 km,250 tons, was laid parallel to the existing Abadan- Ahwaz pipelines
- 1947: A 25.5-30.5 cm in diameter pipeline was constructed and run between Lali and Masjed Soleiman, which joined Masjed Soleiman pipeline system
- 1956 : 10",428 km Ahwaz-Azna pipeline system was established
- 1957: The aforementioned pipeline system, 822 km in length, accompanying 5 Pump Stations and Pressure Enhancement Stations was made operational. Also, in the same year the 6" Azna-Isfahan pipeline system joined the operation
- 1958 : The construction of 6" and 8" Tehran-Ghazvin-Rasht pipeline began
- 1960 : The 8" Ray- Ghazvin pipeline system was made operational
- 1961 : Ray- shahrood-Mashhad 8" pipeline system was opened
Expertise and experience of the dedicated people in IOPTC in all respective fields of activities have made it possible for the company to meet criteria of international standards and modern technology. In this line, the company has been awarded standard certificates by DQS and IQNET in all sites and Areas including the Pump Stations, installations, Telecommunication Stations, and corrosion protection sites as follow:
- Following a satisfactory assessment in all affiliated areas by auditors from DQS, ISO 9001 Certificate for Quality Management Systems was awarded.
- After a satisfactory assessment in 9 operational zones by auditors from DQS, the Certificate of compliance with ISO 14000 for Environmental Management Systems was awarded.
- Following satisfactory audits in 8 operational zones the OHSAS-18001 Certificate was awarded for Environmental Health, Safety, and Management Systems.
- I.M.S Certificate was awarded for implementing Integrated Management Systems in 8 operational zones.
Furthermore, the IOPTC as one of the top companies in implementing management systems throughout the country was awarded with DQS trophyin the 4TH TQM (Total Quality Management) seminar.